Saturday, July 22, 2006

A quick update...

Sorry Tash, I 'borrowed' your title. Haven't blogged for a while. Haven't been busy either. Just 'puddling' along. Boys back at school this week which is good to get back into routine. Have stripped 2 panels of wallpaper...oh dear, may take me till 2008 at this rate. Done some more sorting. Was grumpy at DH on Wednesday. He gets Wednesdays off, so while I am not working, I try and keep it free to spend with him. We "popped out to do a few messages" (for his work) at 9am and got home a 1pm....4hrs of work shopping on his day off. Ok, we went to WHS as part of it but still. That man needs some self discipline and boundaries. It's all purely his choice!!!!
Anyway, rant over. Have done 2 layouts this week, will post later. I am teaching a friend some scrapping stuff so I've done these ones to teach her techniques etc. OK about them but they're not my faves.
Have a job interview on Wednesday. Not ready to go back to working yet, but this is one I'd quite like I think so willing to compromise if it means I get a good job. Will see what it's about, what they're wanting/offering, and if they want me (LOL)

Tomorrow my oldest (or is it eldest?) DS turns 18!!!! It seems so old. He has been 'old' for years really. He left school at 15, has lived and worked in Auckland for a year, has been flatting 2x, lived with his girlfriend (they have separate flats now and seem surprised that it works better...at 17...doh!!!) All of these things have really challenged me as a mother, but I have worked hard in it all to maintain a good relationship with him cos I believe that's really important. He now is loving working as a Gib Stopper, has done his 1st house on his own, and is going on contract work in a few months. I'm so proud of the things he has achieved, yet so many seem happy to criticise that he is not at school, still at home and going to Uni. Thank you so much to those who made positive comments about him being in a trade in my last post. I think it's great (altho I do wish he was a plumber....the world needs more plumbers...have you ever tried to get one??)
I guess I just want to state how very much I love him and am so proud of him. All of our boys have been through so much with losing their little brother and I think Izzy has been amazing. I'll share this wee tear jerker with you to finish. Hope he doesn't mind. He has a tattoo. It's down his Right forearm, it says "RIP LIL BRO". He wanted it there so he saw it every day in the shower to remember and honour Olly. How can a Mum not be proud of that!!!!!!!

So much for a quick update...
Cheers
Sandra

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandra, at the end of the day all a parent wants is for thier child to be happy. Your son is!! Who cares what others think he should be doing. Your son is happy and is doing what he wants. Too many people settle for second best or do what other people think they should do. So you continue to be proud of him, because that came through loud and clear in your post. It was lovely to read of a mothers love for her son. And ewwwww at stripping wallpaper. I hear you on the husband vs work balance thing!!

Unknown said...

Well that certainly made me cry reading about the tattoo.
You should be proud of your son I reckon any one who gets into a trade be a plumber/electrian/gib stopper/whatever is going to earn good money and never be at a loss for work. He will have his own business in no time.
Think of it this way at least you don't have to help support him through Uni.
As long as they are happy and doing well who cares about the critics there turn will come.

~Zeetra~ said...

Hi Sandra, its Zeetra here form Scrapbook Outlet.
I thkn what your son is doing with his job is really great. I wouldnt mind at all if my child get motivated, gets a job they love and can support himself, good on him!
As for the tattoo. What a great son you have to do that for his "lil bro".

Lara said...

Hi Sandra
hate stripping paper too & my dh does work stuff all the time! We have to be for our children & keep loving them regardless of their choices - so don't look forward to mine being able to make all those grown up decisions!

Lynda said...

Happy Birthday to your biggest boy. Hope you have had a good day. I can only imagine the challenges you describe with my oldest only 13. That you have come through with such love and respect and the very obvious friendship that you have with him is a huge credit to you. I only hope I can do half as well with my boys.

Yolande said...

OK wiping tears here. That is so special Sandra and agree with what others have said. As long as he is happy who cares... you should feel proud of the relationship you have with your son (and sons) there are so many that don't - keep telling my son that he has to promise to hug me EVERY day of his life. Thats a sons duty right?

Anonymous said...

good thoughts about your boys Sandra (except the DH one who needs to exercise some self-discipline!! lol)

Donna said...

The world needs more gibstoppers too! {We are in the building industry}. Good for him going out & doing what he enjoys.
Your story about the tatoo is really touching.

Mel said...

I like Janine's comment about wanting kids to be happy. That's my only wish for mine. I loved your story.Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow Sandra, just popped into your blog after seeing your link somewhere else? And what an amazing post. Your son sounds like an amazing 'kid' and at 18 sounds like he knows what he wants and is doing it successfully. What a boy! I especially liked what Janine said. Shes spot on.

I love the sentiment behind your sons tattoo. Wow.

As for stripping wallpaper?! Ugh. Good on you for attempting it!

Ali said...

Awesome tat Sandra and Janine is soooooooooo right. NZ is so short of decent tradespeople right now, we need all we can get to keep the others honest! Different strokes for different folks and all that. Sounds as if you have your hands full with all that decorating - rather you than me!!